I’ve been sewing a lot more things lately it seems. It started with making those four dresses for the little girls and then I have gotten a lot of things made since, some knitted, some sewn. But here they are.
Rebecca and I were working on making Ma a purse for her birthday, but it didn’t get done in time because we needed a zipper for it. William took us to Joann’s and I bought zipper, pattern (on sale for $1) and 6 yards of white fabric. I needed the white for the dress, and I use white for many other things so I got some extra for those miscellaneous projects. Sarah wanted a 1940s dress. And it being the first time of making one, and not having a pattern, we went safe and she bought 5 yards of red fabric with white polka dots. I now know hat you do not nearly need five yards. It took three for the dress (though next time I would make the skirt a little longer) and a little extra for the handkerchief for her head. As payment for my work, she gave me the rest of the fabric. Anyway, here are the pictures of all I’ve been doing.
I did view B but put the short sleeves on it. I had some trouble with it near the end, but it was late at night (12:30) and when I tried again in the morning I got it. At the back, it says to tie it at the neckline and waist with a drawstring. What?!? I knew it would gap horribly. That would never do right. I was right, so I added buttons and for the gathers at the front, I put in the drawstring like it said, adjusted it and sewed it down and cut off the ends. What were they thinking I wonder?
Anyway, I still like the pattern. A lot. So I made another. But I haven’t got pictures yet. It’s a burgundy color with tiny black flower and leaf prints. I love burgundy.
After making the dresses for the little girls, James wanted a nightgown, so I told him that those were for girls but I would make him a night robe. He didn’t leave me alone after that. I was constantly asked if I was about done. I had to make the pattern and I think it turned out quite good. He certainly loves it.
Sarah really liked this dress
So I made a pattern and sat there for about an hour working up the nerve to cut her fabric with a pattern that I had made. I was worried it wasn’t right somehow and I wouldn’t know it until it was too late. But thankfully it came out great, and if I did need to cut out another piece again to fix it, I had 2 extra yards to work with. I used a 14 inch invisible zipper on the side seam and put the pleats on the shoulder as in the picture and made a belt to go with it. Then we took lots of pictures. And he next day did hairstyles. Maybe well do it again and get more pictures.
The dress I’m wearing is the one I blogged about a while back that is made to look like the dress the mother wears in the Waltons tv show. There’s another with a longer skirt and different fabric, but no pictures.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.